Wednesday, November 03, 2010

A Part of my Sports Psyche I've Never Experienced

The Texas Rangers moved to Arlington the same year I did - 1972. They arrived in April; I was 3 years old going on 4 when I came that summer. I didn't know much about anything back then, but I was slightly aware in '73 when David Clyde set the town on its ear, and even more aware in '74 when Billy Martin's team finished 2nd to the eventual 3-time World Champion Oakland A's (who I also liked). Went to Bat Night in '74 and was mesmerized by the crowds in the outfield bleachers.

I was a Junior Ranger in '76-'78 - drank Dr. Pepper like crazy to get the bottle cap liners for my membership. It was during that time that my dad took me to games using my Junior Ranger ticket allotment. We'd sit in the bleachers near the right field foul pole, where I got to see Reggie Jackson playing for the Orioles, and usually Dave May, Kurt Bevacqua, or Richie Zisk for the Rangers. That was where my dad taught me that you don't "boo" the other team, but respect their success when it happens. I also remember the addition of the "upper deck" (if you can call it that) at Arlington Stadium.

My interest waned a little in the early 80s while I was adjusting to hormonal changes in junior high, but I still followed the team. In the late 80s I really enjoyed working nacho stand #311 with my fraternity brothers and watching Bobby Valentine's teams, who would contend but never truly achieve. My father-in-law was a ticket-seller when the Ballpark opened in '94, and for a couple of years it was awesome - he could get us in on his discount and we'd enjoy the red-hat Rangers in a beautiful venue.

Then Tom Hicks bought the team, raised prices, eliminated employee perks, and my Rangers fandom was tainted. Yet I still attended games whenever I could (usually in August when they were playing for pride and offering substantial discounts). I remember April 2001 seeing a Saturday game with my pregnant wife and her family. "Michael Young's going to be a good player for this team," I announced. Yeah, I called it.

Like other Rangers fans, I enjoyed Jim Sundberg, Buddy Bell, Fergie Jenkins, Steve Buechele, Ruben Sierra, Pudge, and of course, Nolan, to name a few. I suffered through the Harold Baines trade and Dean Palmer's defense. I watched the playoff losses to the Yankees. I watched A-Rod pile up huge meaningless stats after the game was decided, and I remember how he was the king of the strikeout or double-play when it mattered most.

But I have never prepared for this.

The Rangers clinched the West on Sept. 25. They opened the playoffs on Oct. 6, and I am OBSESSED. Have been for a month now. I followed every pitch of every postseason game any way I could - TV, radio, internet. I followed the weekday games on the internet even while I was teaching class, for crying out loud. I've stayed up late so many nights, relishing victory or lamenting defeat. The World Series ended 2 nights ago, and I'm still engrossed.

NEVER, in my life, have I been this consumed by a sport or a team. I've watched the Cowboys, Mavericks, and Stars play for championships, but when it was over, win or lose, it was over. But this Rangers season has lasted so long and tasted so sweet, I cannot get past it. Here I am posting at length on my blog instead of working. Someone help me.

I hope to get some closure this evening at the rally. Plus, pitchers and catchers report in only about 100 days. Yeah, baby. Now I have a taste of how Red Sox, Cubs, and yes, Yankees fans feel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home